This is the picture that I used as my sample. I wanted everyone to use the same pattern, but they could pick their own papers, colors and decorations. They all did quite well...although we needed about 4 hours for the class rather than the 2 I had designated. We used various papers (some handmade), old music sheets, acrylic paints, and pens to construct the 11x14 mixed media on canvas print.
I then declared that NEXT year's school library Christmas tree would feature sheet music in some form...that's when I started to explore the blogs for information. Was I stunned! I was "in the groove" and didn't even know it...music was featured everywhere! Well, that really gave me the itch to begin experimenting with what I saw. I tried to hold off until after Christmas...
#1 Granddaughter and I experimented with the wreath we saw on Miss Mustard Seed's blog first. It was like the monster that ate Chicago...it grew and grew! But I love the look and plan to keep it in my office year round. I believe this was also featured on the blog, Confessions of a Plate Addict. We double teamed it with Granddaughter rolling the cones and me glue gunning everything in sight! ( I sprang for a Sonic Blast after this task was completed!)
I wanted to try a smaller wreath, but #1 G said I could do it on my own. So I did and it's quite cute...about the size of a salad plate with another antique button in the center. I love the little fan look in the middle!
Then I remembered the two paper mache pyramids I bought for half price at Hobby Lobby...$5.99 for both! I pulled them out and decided to "do you know what"...again...cover them with old sheet music!
Next, I affixed some sheet music using Mod Podge. (aka: Nectar of the gods...ha.)
I didn't like the plain Jane look, so off to Hancock's Fabrics to find something with which to dress the edges of the pyraminds...1/4 inch black elastic that was on sale for 50 cents for 3 yards. It took 3 packs and I had a little left over. I covered each individual side..which means I had to attach the elastic 8 times and 4 for the bottom.Note: Do NOT stretch the elastic, just glue it down with Elmer's.
On the first pyramid (aka: Christmas tree), I haphazardly applied the music, on the second tree I "wised" up and cut each side in two large sections...worked much better and certainly was quicker.
I used Distressing Ink to give a little rustic flavor, but really didn't need to as the sheets were so old on their own.
I attached a snowflake that was a leftover tree topper on sale for 50 cents. It was brass and I "rusted" it. I also attached a burlap bow on top...I am still thinking about adding rusty bells attached with twine to the bow.
Tip: When working with sheets of music, the older music is extremely fragile and crumbles easily. I began with 1930's music and quickly found that for me it was easier to work with 1950's and 1960's sheets especially if there is much folding or manipulation of the sheets.
I love the look and must say that burlap has been my BFF for as long as I can remember. Teamed with the antique music, burlap presents a really nice contrast. I remember once a lady gently scolded me for using burlap in a tablescape...I laughed to myself...little did she know that it would become one of today's hottest decorating accessories!