Wondering if anyone else uses colloquialisms as often as I do? (The definition for colloquial is suitable for ordinary conversation but not for formal speech or writing.) See if you can fill in the blank..hmm, my old teaching instincts are returning..Most of mine come from my grandparents' generation, but we still say them in my family.
1. Happy as a dead pig in____________________
2. Hot as a nanny goat in ____________________
3. Full as a ______________________________
4. Tight as ______________________________
5. Blowing off some________________________
6. Take a bird bath ...under__________________
7. All birds come__________________________
8. What goes around_______________________
9. Lie down with dogs ______________________
10. I feel like the last _______________________
Now, I'd like you to tell us some of the oddities your family and friends say! In the comment box, add your own. You must do this to give me some new ones!!!
1. Happy as a dead pig in the sunshine. (I have NO idea what this means.)
2. Hot as a nanny goat in a pepper patch. (Outside temp or maybe a hot flash alert!)
3. Full as a tick. (After a meal at Applebees.)
4. Tight as Dick's hatband. (As in your clothes are snugggg!)
5. Blowing off a little steam. (As in letting it all hang out for all the world to hear!)
6. Take a bird bath..under tail and under wing. (Also known as a "kitty cat bath".)
7. All birds come home to roost.(As in what goes around comes around.)
8. What goes around comes around. (As in all birds come home to roost.)
9. Lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas. (As don't go around with certain people.)
10. I feel like the last rose of summer. (Lashes droopy, gloss all gone, blush faded, all tuckered out!)
I am all "tuckered out" tonight. Husband had to go into town and wanted me to ride. I was TOO tired, but he lured me with a Bop's Snappy Turtle! I got it in Kid's size. I think if you get a kid's size anything, it's ok, don't you?