Welcome!

I am glad you chose to visit! My blog is a compilation of the many hats I find myself wearing. On any given day I may be an encourager, an instructor, or just a lady who is venting. You, dear reader, will probably identify with my triumphs and my tribulations! These snapshots fit into my Life Scrapbook I have named A. McInnis Artworks. I hope you will find something worth your while.


Friday, August 13, 2010

Saturday Tip of the Week: Let's Get Cooking!

Thought you might like a change of pace, so I thought we would do a little food talking! We have a small community grocery store on Highway 468 named Allen's. The butcher shop in Allen's is great and they have wonderful steaks and roasts.

We also love their pre-cooked roast slices. They cook the roasts "in house". I buy the sliced roast beef (and I believe they use Dale's) and the slices make a really good sandwich. You can cook your own roast, but I make these when I am pressed for time...which is Usually!

Roast Beef Sandwiches:

Slice 1/2 onion and one bell pepper. Saute bell pepper and onion until transparent in a small amount of virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic powder and freshly cracked black pepper. Set this mixture aside on a plate. Quickly add sliced roast and a touch of Worcestershire sauce to the left over olive oil, stir and warm thoroughly.

Split Pepperidge Farm Hoagie buns. Spread mayonnaise and sprinkle with a little garlic powder. On one half of the bun layer the roast, onions and peppers. On the other side sprinkle grated mozzarella cheese. With the bun still split, run under the broiler until the cheese melts. Easy and really good!

"Broasted Chicken"

If you'd like a chicken that tastes just like the "broasted" ones at Wal Mart, then this tip is for you! I was skeptical at first, so I tried this while I was at home to monitor the chicken!

Buy a whole fryer or hen. Salt and pepper it and put it in the crock pot. Cook on low for at least 8 hours. No added liquid is needed (chick makes its own liquid). The chicken will literally fall off the bone and is delicious! Wonderful for chicken salad.

"Brownie Trifle"

Using a mix, bake a batch of plain brownies. Let cool. Break up the brownies and layer half of them in the bottom of a trifle or glass bowl. Using a squeeze bottle of chocolate syrup, pour chocolate syrup over the brownies. Then top the mixture with some caramel sundae topping. Sprinkle pecans over the mixture (or don't use the nuts.) Cover with Cool Whip.

Repeat entire layering procedure beginning with broken brownies. End with Cool Whip and nuts or "squiggle" some chocolate syrup over the Cool Whip. Refrigerate. The longer it sits, the better it is!

Even though I taught a high school Foods class for years and majored in Home Economics, cooking is NOT my favorite thing to do. Anytime I can find a quick and easy recipe that my family will eat and doesn't cost too much I try it.

If you'd like to post a recipe, please, feel free to. Yahoo!! It's the weekend!!

2 comments:

Mary said...

These all sound easy and delicious!!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you told the world about Allen's! I thought that was a well-kept secret! LOL!