Welcome!

I am glad you chose to visit! My blog is a compilation of the many hats I find myself wearing. On any given day I may be an encourager, an instructor, or just a lady who is venting. You, dear reader, will probably identify with my triumphs and my tribulations! These snapshots fit into my Life Scrapbook I have named A. McInnis Artworks. I hope you will find something worth your while.


Friday, March 25, 2011

It's Pink Saturday!

Each Saturday, Beverly, at How Sweet the Sound, hosts Pink Saturday.
I love attending the party and hope you will hop over and look at all the pink items
shown by bloggers from all over the United States. (Go to her home page here.)

Many years ago, my mother (who LOVED the color pink) presented me with several
pink paint color swatches and informed me that she was hiring "Willie", the best painter in town,
to come paint my bedroom.
I was to have pink dotted swiss curtains and a small club chair covered in pink flowered fabric.

I was going through a "my mother knows nothing" phase in my life and I will never forget how hurt she looked when I didn't jump up and down and clap when she presented her plans.

She also wanted to have "Willie" wallpaper my ceiling in pink rosebud paper. I said "ok" to everything but the wallpapered ceiling. I thought that was just too over the top.

So I dramatically rolled my eyes
and put the "squaeetis" on the rosebuds on the ceiling
and that ended that.

I have always regretted my stupidity...
my mother was ahead of the curve, because shortly after our conversation,
wallpapered ceilings became the "in" thing and I was stuck with a plain old white one.

(Live and learn!)

My "entry" in the Pink Saturday Party today is a
shadow box that I arranged for my granddaughter.
Her great, great grandmother's Kewpie Doll is the star of this show!
She once was naked as a jaybird, but I made a tutu from an elastic hairband and a top
from a piece of ribbon to cover her properly.


I don't know how it happened but I broke the "grandmother" cup while assembling
the shadowbox...behind, Kewpie is a needle keeper in the shape of a pink rosebud. In the upper
right hand corner is a tiny piece of embroidery made by her great, great, great grandmother!
Wow! We have some serious memories here.

The porcelain Minnie Mouse was the possession of my husband's mother when she was a little girl.
Another Kewpie forms the background...a little gift enclosure card...my grandmother gave
me a set of the cards when I was little and I've always kept them...
couldn't bear to use them.

A doll's spoon, a few pressed flowers and a Mother of Pearl button complete the scene.

Today, my house doesn't lend itself to pink and I think I might have to do something
about that! I'm beginning to lean in that direction once again.

I also found a package of Barbie notecards for granddaughter..

For some reason tonight a wave of nostalgia hit me like a ton of bricks.
I thank Beverly for hosting Pink Saturday,
it reminds me of days gone by...
when things were simpler, sweeter, prettier somehow.

May all your Saturdays be PINK,

12 comments:

stefanie said...

oh, she is sooooo cute!!!

Betty said...

I love your little collage. I collect Kewpies but I don't have any as special as the one you gave to your grand daughter. What a sweet treasure!

Decor To Adore said...

Happy Pink Saturday!

I absolutely love your pink art!

I am hosting an auction on my blog of vintage and antique linens ~some are pink! :)

Come by and take a peek.

pinkkandy said...

Happy Pink Saturday.....so fun to join in all the Pinkness...I pray for God to bless each one of you...giving you peace and strength...enjoy the day!
Kandy
I love the Kewpie doll..my son had one that was dressed like a little boy..the clothes are long gone...so is my son...well he's in Calif. he chewed the curl off the top of the doll's head...miss my boy!

Beverly said...

That was the sweetest story! I love the items gathered from your family to give your granddaughter. What a wonderful keep sake for her.. I might steal your idea for my granddaughters..truely touching

Unknown said...

What a special gift! I have a Kewpie doll too---the same mold and standing in the same positon, but likely quite a bit newer (like late '70s.) What a neat idea to dress it up!

HaPpY pInK sAtUrDaY!
Sarah

Susie Jefferson said...

Oh wow oh wow oh wow - I totally LOVE the shadow box! If you visit me and go down a few posts, you'll see I'm hooked on Tim Holtz's latest must-have, the Configuration Box (and now teaching it as well) so anything in a box get my vote every time. And yours is SO sweet, SO charming (I adore the hula skirt). A very Happy Pink Saturday from the UK!

NanE said...

Happy PINK Saturday! That little kewpie is as cute as she can be in her little box! have a great weekend, Nan

Trisha said...

That shadowbox turned out adorable and what amazing memories fill it! Happy Pink Saturday!

~Trisha

Jeannie B. said...

Oh how I love this post!! I am a Kewpie doll lover!! And I think the Shadow Box is a wonderful idea. Now, I want to go around my house and find things for shadow box keep sakes for my own Grandchildren!

★Carol★ said...

That's such a sweet shadowbox, and I'm sure your granddaughter will treasure it forever, and it will become a family heirloom!
Don't we all think our mothers are plum crazy, when we're young? I don't think any of us girls appreciate them until we have children of our own!
Happy Pink Saturday,
Carol

monah http://graciouscottage.com/ said...

Hi,

Visiting from Pink Saturday.

Two words on your post: "too cute"

Stop by and visit me if you have a chance.

Graciously,
monah