Welcome!

I am glad you chose to visit! My blog is a compilation of the many hats I find myself wearing. On any given day I may be an encourager, an instructor, or just a lady who is venting. You, dear reader, will probably identify with my triumphs and my tribulations! These snapshots fit into my Life Scrapbook I have named A. McInnis Artworks. I hope you will find something worth your while.


Monday, November 1, 2010

* The Days of Pink Hair Nets & Orange Juice Cans

Just wanted to report in on the "wearing of Youth Dew" today... I had forgotten how strong the stuff is... not like some of today's watered down scents... so I definitely overdid on the spray this morning...but all day it reminded me of college days gone by...

The first time I ever bought the stuff was in Columbus at a department store called Ruth's. I got a $25 a week allowance in college and really didn't even need that...so I saved up and signed out to walk uptown. (In those days, you signed out anytime you were leaving the dorm to walk somewhere. And you had better be back by the time on the card or you could be campused for the entire weekend!) I trudged uptown with my $25 in my purse and entered the store, looked around for a minute and made the purchase....I sure hoped my stockings didn't get a run that week because I sank every bit of money I had into that blue bottle.

What a fun time in life...being "sort of" on your own and making a purchase of over $15...my, my how times have changed...except I still report in on most purchases over $25...ha. This was around the same time that I went down to the basement of the dorm to get a coke a cola..which still came in bottles. It was sort of dark and creepy down there and I carefully made my way down the stairs in my housecoat with my hair rolled up on orange juice cans with a pink hair net on. (Can you imagine that scene? You had to sleep with your head off the bed.) Anyhoo, I put my quarter in and the entire coke machine emptied. I was having to stand there and scream for help all the while taking each coke as it came out and carefully placing it on the floor. When it was all over, I had about 40 or 50 bottles of coke all around me. Youth Dew and 40 cokes all in a day...It looked like I'd won the lottery! P.S. I told the dorm mother...I didn't keep all 40 drinks!!

6 comments:

Lenore said...

What memories that story brought back!! LOL

Angela McInnis said...

Lenore,I was in the Magnolia my Freshman year...that was the scene!! You do remember Ruth's, I hope and Egger's?

Libby said...

I remember both stores. When we visited my aunt and uncle in Columbus, he would always take me there, hoping I would find the perfect dress! (I also remember the orange juice cans!! Ugh!!!

Angela McInnis said...

Libby, What were we thinking?!!

Michelle said...

Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like...But only sometimes. ha!

Angela McInnis said...

Michelle,
In many ways it was difficult, but in more ways it was wonderful. It was a great time to grow up.