Welcome!

I am glad you chose to visit! My blog is a compilation of the many hats I find myself wearing. On any given day I may be an encourager, an instructor, or just a lady who is venting. You, dear reader, will probably identify with my triumphs and my tribulations! These snapshots fit into my Life Scrapbook I have named A. McInnis Artworks. I hope you will find something worth your while.


Tuesday, October 5, 2010

* Diet & Little Debbie Update

Thought I'd give a quick update on the "diet." You know the one that my insurance company subtly suggested that I adopt...the 750 calories a day one. Dieting in earnest lasted 8 days...I fell off the wagon when I was celebrating the 5 pound loss. It took several days to get back in the saddle...I never regroup quickly. Once, my friend Greer and I were riding a horse in her backyard. Don't ask why, it's a long story. I was in back and she was in front commandeering the wild steed. I saw her duck, but I was very nearsighted and didn't see why until the clothesline caught me around the neck and flipped me backwards off the back end of the horse. Took me weeks to get over the cracked ribs. I had the same feeling with the diet once I strayed.

I am now in the stage of questioning the wisdom of a diet at my age. Is it really necessary? Will it really be worth it? What about Jim Fixx, the world class runner? All those miles, all that lean body mass and he dropped dead of a heart attack. Hummmm? Besides, I like to keep a few extra pounds around to help "plump" out those wrinkles (on my face). Also, I understand that a plumper person can float better in water than a skinny one. So if I am ever stranded in the ocean, I have a better chance of survival.

I have cut my Little Debbie consumption down to one per day. (And I have just discovered she makes delightful Petite Strawberry Cakes that are delicious and not very high in calories.) I am taking vitamins and I really have cut out some of the more troublesome junk foods...blocks of cream cheese, Blue Bell Ice Cream, Snickers and mayonnaise. So I actually am doing pretty well. I have still lost the 5 pounds and I've decided not to hurry the process. Just let it fall off slowly...besides the holidays are approaching and you know what that means...."I'll start the diet right after the first of the year" syndrome hits. I AM going to try to watch what foods I eat during the holidays and maybe I'll have some good news on Jan. 1st!

7 comments:

grey rose (they/them) said...

you can do it! stress free is the way to be, denying yourself things(especially at holidays) isn't fun, for you OR anyone around you :D i've found that cutting just a few things works for me too, slowly, but works! (i bid farewell to my bff BUTTER and mayo and sour cream and lost several pounds and have kept most of it off!)

Unknown said...

I weighed 5 pounds less today on my doctor visit -- that's the only time I go near a scale -- than I did in July. I'm not sure how I did it, but I'll take it. During the holidays I think we better to maintain rather than trying to lose. I try to limit my sweets consumption to when I'm traveling. Lately I've found it necessary to stop at Sweet Potato Sweets in Vardeman to pick up some sandies and chocolate fudge made with sweet potatoes -- that's high-fiber fudge.

Pat Hitt said...

Me too Angela. I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I read that most people die of natural causes....no dieting for me. I have earned every pound.

rebecca russell said...

I agree...but...I sure would like it if Lassie brought us more GiGi's pumpkin spice....ooo oooo, I wonder if he could find us a 1,000 calorie pumpkin spice latte to go with it. Oh yeah, so I had a "super" low carb meal for dinner...can you tell :-)

Angela McInnis said...

Ya'll make me feel so much better. Today they had a ton of leftover "treats" at school and I couldn't resist the choc. cupcake with choc. icing and pecans, the pecan pie and a brownie. Sweets are my downfall...really? How would you have guessed. And yes, those GiGi's pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting are wonderful! When does the pumpkin spice latte make its autumnal debut?

Greer said...

About the horse incident--I still rememeber your red tennis shoes up in the air as I glanced behind me as you fell off the horse!! I told you I always thought of myself as Roy Rogers or The Lone Ranger in those days. (Also it was my yard and I knew where the clothesline was!!)

Donna said...

I am SOOO right there with you, Angela!!!