Paraprosdokian: I've never heard of this word before, but it's real. The definition is "a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part."
My friend, Miss Anonymous, sent these to me (they were sent to her from a doctor friend in Alabama) and I thought several were really worth repeating. I would give credit to their writer if I knew who he/she was.
1. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear brighter until you hear them speak. (I've know quite a few bulbs that weren't the brightest in the pack, haven't you? This is a perfect explanation of light and sound.)
2. If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong. (Now this one I am reserving for the next time husband and I have a disagreement.)
3. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. (Best explanation of the difference I've read in a while.)
4. The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. (I understand it, but don't know how it would figure into a conversation..however, I think it's funny.)
5. Evening news is where they begin with "Good Evening", and then proceed to tell you why it isn't. (Enough said.)
6. I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you. (Another reserved one for you know who.)
7. Hospitality: making your guests feel like they're at home, even if you wish they were. (Haven't we all felt this way?)
8. Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with. (You KNOW it's true.)
9. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. (Chuckle, chuckle.)
10 My favorite! To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
I heard a great Groucho Marx paraprosdokian: "I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. I'll never know how he got in there." I haven't heard many of my associates using paraprosdokians lately. I don't think they make 'em like they used to ...paraprosdokians...not associates. Wonder if the paraprosdokian is going the way of the dinosaur? I surely hope not, they should be added to my list of things that make you go "Hmmmm?" If you come across one, let us hear it!!