Welcome!

I am glad you chose to visit! My blog is a compilation of the many hats I find myself wearing. On any given day I may be an encourager, an instructor, or just a lady who is venting. You, dear reader, will probably identify with my triumphs and my tribulations! These snapshots fit into my Life Scrapbook I have named A. McInnis Artworks. I hope you will find something worth your while.


Sunday, July 18, 2010

Recipe for Mock Apple Pie

The lore concerning this recipe is that it was introduced during the Depression when ingredients were difficult to buy. I had my classes in Nutrition bake one of these pies and my instructions were always met with groans..."How can an apple pie be good if it's just got Ritz crackers in it rather than apples?" (They always loved it and late last evening one of my former students FaceBooked me with the recipe request..) So here it is and it's fun to make and fun to eat with vanilla ice cream on top!



Mock Apple Pie

Preheat oven: 350 degrees

2 nine inch pie shells (unbaked)
2 tsp. Cream of Tartar
1 sleeve Ritz Crackers
1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 c. water
1/2 stick margarine cut into small pieces
2 to 3 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 c. sugar

Boil 2 c. water and add sugar & cream of tartar. Stir and cook for 3-4 min. Add lemon juice & stir.
Remove from eye and let cool a few minutes. Barely crush crackers and put into one of the pie shells. Pour the cooled syrup over the crackers, sprinkle with cinnamon and top with cut margarine.Weave strips of the second pie shell over top in lattice fashion and seal around edges. Bake for 35 minutes. Yield: 8 slices.

No comments: