Welcome!

I am glad you chose to visit! My blog is a compilation of the many hats I find myself wearing. On any given day I may be an encourager, an instructor, or just a lady who is venting. You, dear reader, will probably identify with my triumphs and my tribulations! These snapshots fit into my Life Scrapbook I have named A. McInnis Artworks. I hope you will find something worth your while.


Sunday, May 8, 2011

Old Book...New Planter Tutorial

I am working on a project that I hope you will find interesting...I'll tell you about it later this week, however, I've been diligently pulling everything together for the past few weeks. Today, I finished another "spoke on the wheel" and thought you might like to see the fruits of my "labor." (A little Mother's Day pun..ha.)



The finished product is pictured above. Let me explain how we got to the above state of being. It all began with a yard sale find...



Three of these little planters were crying out to be taken home a few Saturdays ago. So for 50 cents each...who could resist? They have never been used, are wood overlayed with paper and each has a plastic insert inside...they were also marked $19.99! What?! Who in their right mind would pay $19.99 each for these things?



I decided to cover each side with old book pages. I marked black around the sides in case my overlay of book pages didn't quite meet on the sides.



I traced the sides, cut out four sides from the pattern and Mod Podged the sheets of an old science book onto each side. Using Tim Holtz Distress Ink, I aged the paper sides and MP'd again.


Ok, but rather Plain Jane if you ask me. So if a little is good, a lot must be better!!

A few floppy flowers, some velvety leaves, polka dot ribbon and feathers....and wahla... Cutie Pie!




Let's try her outside! Cute but oh, the sun will kill her!




Brought her inside and let her sit next to Peter's Pottery bunny! Yes, that's much better!






I love the colors and the overall look here. I don't know what I'll do with the other two planters, but this one is ready for next weekend...




I am linking to BoogieBoard Cottage & Amaze Me Monday (Dittle Dattle)...see buttons on right and come and join the party.



Hope you can find a fun, cute project to do,

5 comments:

Jill said...

I love the flowers and leaves you added to it, it makes all the difference! :)

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

I love how you covered the container - pretty clever...but what I like best is the color combinations you used in the flowers!

Anonymous said...

I love how you took something very plain and ordinary and turned it into something special. Printed paper is so "in" these days, but I love the floral accents you used.

grey rose (they/them) said...

fabulous, as usual.
love it with the bunny too!

how are ya? xo

Gail said...

50cents each!! wowee. You couldn't make a structure for that price.
I like the masculine textbook pages with the feminine flowers.